Please note these tips are not in any order, if you wish to submit a tip or trick you can do so at the bottom of this page.
- Ensure that you purge old ABS or other filament type from your extruder as PLA runs cooler than ABS.
- Room temperature is very important and ambient temperature is best, not to hot not to cold!
- PLA prints well at temperatures of about 180 – 220°c .
- Don’t leave PLA heated for too long as it will degrade and affect your print.
- You do not have to use a heated build plate for PLA, in fact the more heat the less quality of print, you can use blue painters tape on the your build plate as PLA adheres well to this.
- Customers have advised Purple UHU Stick
- You can print with PLA straight onto an Acrylic build surface.
- Some 3D print enthusiasts have another external fan cooling down the PLA filament as it is being extruded.
- Ensure you use the high speed settings when printing at lower temperatures.
- Even when printed, PLA objects can become soft at around temperatures of 50°c.
- You can use a clear nail varnish to “smooth” your object.
- Always store your PLA filament in a sealed container with a sachet of silica gel when not in constant use.
- PLA is harder than ABS and more brittle but still tough.
- From our friends at Makerbot read this
Do you have any tips or tricks that you would like to add? Please submit using the comments form below and we will review and include it on the list above. Thank you